Sunday, May 27, 2007

Change in Plans

Wow, no blog since Monday - I must've been busy this week! We have been short-handed at the office so I've had to wear many hats these past few days. One day I didn't even get a lunch break! Wednesday it was just the boss and I running the show which meant Thursday and Friday was catch-up day for charges. I was supposed to get out early on Friday so Matty and I could go to PA and pick up little David. The judge had other plans. She said that if he wanted to see his little boy he'd have to come to PA and spend three consecutive nights with him on two separate occasions. Poor Matty called me at work to see if I could get Tuesday off from work because he was going to PA for the weekend. Fortunately my co-workers gave it the ok and I had to quickly go online and hopefully find a hotel room available on this busy Memorial Day weekend.

So now I'm in PA - day #2. We stopped at Matty's mom's house in Saco on the way down and headed to PA around midnight. I slept from 1-4 and Matty drove the whole night through. We got to town around 7am and waited for 8 to come around so we could meet up with David's mother and make the exchange.

After picking lil D up we went to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast. D fell asleep on the way over so we took advantage of the quiet time and caught a little snooze ourselves. I was pretty tired and couldn't even imagine how tired Matty was - at least I was running on a few hours of sleep.

We checked into the hotel and unloaded all of D's stuff - he had lots of toys to keep him busy, which was good. We wanted to be sure he was surrounded by familiar objects so he didn't stress out as easily.

After an hour or so of playing lil D passed out again (must be nice to have it so easy!) so Matty and I got a little more sleep as well. After waking up we went to Chili's for supper and then to Wal Mart to get some teething rings and Anbesol. This poor little guy has some sore gums! We got back to the hotel, gave lil D a bath and tried to get him to go to sleep. After an hour and a half of crying, screaming, and attempts to calm him down with snacks, milk and a pacifier he finally settled down and went to sleep. At this point I was quite frazzled and had to step out and call mom. She offered me some words of wisdom and quickly calmed me down. This is, after all, the first weekend I've ever spent with a baby. I have no experience with kids, have never changed a diaper and never really planned on having any. Now I have an amazing boyfriend with this sweet little boy that he loves more than anything. They are a package deal, and if I want one, I gotta have the other one. It hasn't been easy, but Matty has been very patient with me and I am willing to learn. This will be interesting...

1 comment:

Midlife Mom said...

Yikes! You two have had your hands full being a mom and dad this weekend! I didn't realize you were going to take your laptop but logged onto your site just to check if you had written anything before you left. Glad you could call your mom and get some words of advice and wisdom. Hope you get lots of pictures while there. You're right, it's a package deal so this is a good test to see if it's for you. I have a feeling it will be! heehee! We brought the little boys home today. I think Jean was glad to be rid of them! ha! They are happy out in their stalls eating dinner and had fun out in the nice grass for a couple of hours before we put them in. Didn't want them to overdo it on the grass and colic or founder. I'm glad to have them home and Taylor came over to see them and she is glad. Jean said that Nick is not for a beginner, he is too smart and knows how to get away with things really fast. I dread Lauren coming up but maybe you will be able to work him some each week and that will take the edge off. I will lunge him too. Hope you're having a good time and be careful driving home! Love you!