Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Gift of Life

Life is hard. There are days that you just want to give up and take the easy way out. I've thought about it, and it's pretty normal for anybody to think about it. To actually do it though, is a totally different story and is something that nobody should have to endure.

Monday I was told that my friend Josh had taken his own life in his ex-girlfriend's house. Dumbfounded, I just sat at my desk and cried. How can anything be so bad that you have to commit such a horrible, selfish act?

When a person kills themself, they are playing God in their own life. They are taking the decision away from God. Now I ask you - isn't that a sin? Although sins are forgivable, how can you justify something like that?

· It violates the Ten Commandments.
· Nowhere does the Bible condone a person ending life to escape circumstances.
· Life is a gift from God.
· Suicide is an expression of self-hatred, and the Bible says we are to "love our neighbors as ourselves."
· Suicide usurps the power that belongs only to God.
· A person who commits suicide short-circuits God's will for his or her life.
· It is an expression of lack of faith. Philippians 4:19 states, "My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Is Josh in Heaven right now? I don't know. I don't believe he ever invited God into his life, and that scares me. Although I feel nobody deserves eternity in hell, why should non-christians be as privileged as those who have accepted God into their lives? Now I'll admit I haven't been the best follower in the past, but I have very recently started to include God in my life again and already feel more complete. I don't feel as depressed and hopeless, which is something I have lived with for many many years.

So please, add Josh's family to your thoughts and prayers. He had two very young children and a family that loved him very much.

http://www.bangornews.com/a/class/obituaries/obituary.cfm?id=63390

Rest in peace, Josh. Hopefully I'll see you again someday.

No comments: